Monday, January 11, 2010

Pedals & Blue Sky

There is this simple cycling trail that I have been meaning to do for years now. I even lived right next to the place where it started for a year and only managed to get past 1/4 th the distance. I finally finished it last Sunday and was completely contended.







I strongly recommend a cycling trip to Changi Village from East coast park...Its a lovely long trail which traces the eastern coast of Singapore and caresses the stretch of runway at the airport all the way to Changi village. It was a lovely Sunday afternoon...the perfect 31C with no surprises. This part of Singapore is on reclaimed land so timing is all important...if you do this trail after 2 years , you would probably only have posh condos as  your view :) But the awesome part about reclaimed land is the way they landscape it ..it starts with  tropical trees by the ocean and then it graduates to mighty oak like trees and then dense woods with hints of rusted hill stations in between. all this on a length of 12 km...The transitions are very cleverly done with something jaw dropping in between like a Jet Ski or a game of paint ball or a towering sand castle ..by the time you get past the distraction you are in a new land . Due to the changing vegetation somehow u get to experience slight changes in weather too in bursts of 15 minutes.  As man made as it is if I did not tell you there is no way you would have guessed it coz its still all natural in its composition.


The best part of this trip however was racing with the Boeing 747`s and letting them win, or waving at an imaginary frd in a plane flying so close to you that if u jump you might say it in person.Changi airport is a busy airport and the path is quite long so you will have ample opportunities to bring out the child in you. Despite the roaring sounds of wheels taking off and landing there is an air of absolute silence here. I found it really relaxing to start biking from an area bustling with life and childrens laughter and end up in a place which is seemingly cut off from civilization. The Village that is..


After a relaxed lunch we started biking back to reality...took me 5 hours..but was totally worth it with the amazing company I had and the great bike I rented. All in all a wonderful Sunday afternoon .Only regret is not having a proper camera to click the euphoria ...but as my friend said, thats  a motivation to come back again..


.

No comments: