Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mom

This one was written long back and based on Gindrus suggestion putting it here...

They say home is where the heart is and somehow over the years that has become Singapore . I know my bearings here and its here where I learnt to think on my own and here where I let go of the need to own places and people. Home now is a tiny room with a brightly lit view of the city on a 17th floor and belongings are a few peices of pottery from my travels ,books recommended by friends, a couple of green potted pals, clothes that I occasionally indulge in and my iphone. Which is why it did not strike as unnatural that my apartment door is always open. For I have learnt not to hold onto anything that I cannot risk losing..But its not a life thats thats imposed on me but a freedom I cherish everyday.
In ways inexplicable I do not miss anything that I left behind be it hometowns or gadgets or paintings and even people that I leave behind everytime I move ...I feel lighter everytime I move ....with each move closer . But between all these moves if there is something I miss its the tiny person who manages to see me through all this change and appreciates it with the same optimism I do...My Mom

I find it really endearing that at her age and with the world she comes from she turned out to be so open to embrace and celebrate every change and choice I make. She visits me, travelling by herself at every new place with her few prized posessions and bringing along with her the same things which she rightly assumes I have left behind and might need. She is instantly amused and enchanted with everything new that I acquired and begins to care for them with the same enthusiasm. Experiments for a couple of days to figure that my taste in food has changed since her last visit and she begins to experiment that too. She looks expectantly at all new frds made with a glint of "hope" and begins to love them all as she loves me. She tries to pick a new hobby with the free time she suddenly has and wants to learn how things have changed since we last met. Tells me that Im her favourite person in world and how proud she is of me that I have this life, wants to watch me swim and see the places I have seen. With each trip she is a little closer to her plan of a world trip with me and my sister. She keeps her timings and encourages me to maintain mine without her. She makes up for all the lost communication with family and explains the slack on my behalf and gets me back in touch with people . She wants to shop with me and give me new style tips and things I should pick up from my sister. Misses my dad and sister and tries to cover it up as I am her "favourite person". Nudges me to holiday more with family and before long her own holiday comes to an end.


She packs the few things she brought with her and a few gifts she proudly picks for her friends ...and all fit into the tiny suitcase she travels with. She wants a new picture of me to frame and gives me a picture of my sister. Waits expectantly at the door with her suitcase for me to pick her up on my way from work and drop her at the airport. Holds my hand through the ride .As she is about to leave she cannot decide if she is scared to travel alone or to leave me alone and bargains for a brave face instead. Tells me to find happiness in small things in life and quickly whisks away with a hidden tear. I come back home. Thinking on the way that I am too strong and will not miss anybody and open the door to a dining table with chicken biryani and a few of my favourite savouries . Things she knew I would not let her spend her time on but secretly like...Then I know instantly that she is my exception .


...for how can one not miss a person capable of such love.


.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey, this is wonderful! I wish I were this good at putting my feelings on paper :) Pls continue writing.. There is something very refreshing and honest about this blog..

Keerthana's Mom said...

Hey Kavs, I read this before, but it is even more touching the second time around. Very heartfelt, very personal, and very well written! I'm so glad you started writing a blog!

me said...

my all time fav post.. :)