These days every time I visit married friends (read friends) I am left amused. I feel so far removed from what is the norm... Little things which I assume we all take for granted ...like the concept of a family, a house thats is ones own and cooking a hearty meal and having people over are no longer second nature to me ....Like I am all eyes watching whats happening all around me..... I want to absorb as much as I can
As people get responsible and bring a bottle of wine/flower/dessert when they visit, As hosts walk you through their new house with little tit bits here and there, as kids run around me ( for the life in me I cannot understand why they want to creep into tiny hidden corners everywhere), as husband/wife cook a storm (Aside: takes a woman to cook a storm BTW), as I notice cooking quarters, pantries and refrigerators which are completely stocked, as people assume roles and responsibilities and ensure that everyone was having a good time, as everyone helps out in clearing the mess once the party ended...... This routine seems fun and amusing to watch :) I tend to exclaim to myself "ah this is what normal is " :)
Do not get me wrong...I am perfectly happy with the way I live...Where I am figuring out new flatmates, catching them for an occasional meal or a chat in the living room, where it no longer occurs to me gift by occasion- its more on buying stuff for people when something catches my eye, where I prefer limited groceries at home as it always goes waste, where cooking translates to experimenting, where I have the flexibility to be silent whenever, where I hang out a lot but usually outside , where entertaining probably means a yearly BBQ by the pool, where there is no mess at the end of the day to clear.
Normals great! There must be some truth to conventional wisdom if its been around for centuries... There is probably a reason why most people choose to live like that.....
What amuses me is the contrast...its quite sharp. I am surprised that I have forgotten how it was all through my growing years.
Proabably my surprise surprises my friends too :)
As people get responsible and bring a bottle of wine/flower/dessert when they visit, As hosts walk you through their new house with little tit bits here and there, as kids run around me ( for the life in me I cannot understand why they want to creep into tiny hidden corners everywhere), as husband/wife cook a storm (Aside: takes a woman to cook a storm BTW), as I notice cooking quarters, pantries and refrigerators which are completely stocked, as people assume roles and responsibilities and ensure that everyone was having a good time, as everyone helps out in clearing the mess once the party ended...... This routine seems fun and amusing to watch :) I tend to exclaim to myself "ah this is what normal is " :)
Do not get me wrong...I am perfectly happy with the way I live...Where I am figuring out new flatmates, catching them for an occasional meal or a chat in the living room, where it no longer occurs to me gift by occasion- its more on buying stuff for people when something catches my eye, where I prefer limited groceries at home as it always goes waste, where cooking translates to experimenting, where I have the flexibility to be silent whenever, where I hang out a lot but usually outside , where entertaining probably means a yearly BBQ by the pool, where there is no mess at the end of the day to clear.
Normals great! There must be some truth to conventional wisdom if its been around for centuries... There is probably a reason why most people choose to live like that.....
What amuses me is the contrast...its quite sharp. I am surprised that I have forgotten how it was all through my growing years.
Proabably my surprise surprises my friends too :)
No comments:
Post a Comment