I almost forgot that I had a blog... Note to self: Should write more often even if I do not post them online...
I was in Sri Lanka last december and thought I should write about it, before I head out on another holiday. I am amazed by how neat and sparsely populated this country is. Colombo is quite cultural with a good mix of artistic people from around the world. I noticed animated conversations everywhere in Colombo.We started on this holiday thinking lets rough it out and discover the place. But ended up getting a car with a driver for 5 days :)
Food was a pleasant surprise...It was divine in some parts and testing in some places. I am not knowledgeable on Kerala cuisine. Heard Sri Lankan food is quite close. Absolutely loved those Hoppers, Kottu Roti, Rice and curry. Anywhere one goes you cannot miss the rice and curry stands . But the best item on the menu was curd and honey.
One of those days we were driving endlessly from Galle to the hill country( As in I was just sitting in the back seat and enjoying the ride while the poor driver slogged those mountain tracks). The only decent place we could find on those isolated stretches was quite bad to say the least... It was the usual rice and curry but I could not date the food and the place looked unhealthy...they had a whole of load of meat dishes and some really strange vegetables. So in Sri Lanka, they use the term curry very loosely.Even fried carrot with grated coconut garnish is a curry . I am so picky sometimes that I tend to get into these silent moods where I stop talking to everyone whenever the general ambiance is dirty. Probably looking at my face and my untouched plate, the cook at that restaurant came up with a surprise. He brought a chilled earthen pot filled with full cream yogurt. The yogurt looked like it was set in those pots.Then he brings a bottle of thick home made honey and pours it generously on the yogurt Once you taste both of them together you will realize that they were meant for each other. This rates as one of the best desserts I ever had. Something about that fermented yogurt in a earthen pot was so right. I tried making it at home, its not the same...supermarket honey is meant for waffles not yogurt. I kept having this dessert for every meal all 5 days.
Another surprising discovery is wood apple juice ....Super Yumm. Try it . Thats a first. The only time I had wood apple before was for Vinayak Chaturdi in India. (I forget what its called in my mother tongue) . Never knew you can make juices and shakes out of it. Even in Sri Lanka you get these shakes only in the mountains.
Sri Lanka is very very scenic. Their beaches are quite popular but what I loved the most was their hill country . Those endless stretches of mist covered tea estates were definitely worth a trip. In the hill country due to narrow circular routes , despite your best intention you tend to move at snails pace. But with all that greenery dotted with teaks , waterfalls and clouds time just flies and I did not mind the journey at all. I could only scale the lower part of the country in 5 days. Apparently kingdoms started in the north and started stretching south over a few centuries. So It feels like going back in time as you head north. I hear the northern part of Sri Lanka is much prettier and immersed in history. It also comes with dark war ridden tales. However its quite a safe place now and is open to the general public too...Hopefully I can see it for myself the next time.
I was in Sri Lanka last december and thought I should write about it, before I head out on another holiday. I am amazed by how neat and sparsely populated this country is. Colombo is quite cultural with a good mix of artistic people from around the world. I noticed animated conversations everywhere in Colombo.We started on this holiday thinking lets rough it out and discover the place. But ended up getting a car with a driver for 5 days :)
Food was a pleasant surprise...It was divine in some parts and testing in some places. I am not knowledgeable on Kerala cuisine. Heard Sri Lankan food is quite close. Absolutely loved those Hoppers, Kottu Roti, Rice and curry. Anywhere one goes you cannot miss the rice and curry stands . But the best item on the menu was curd and honey.
One of those days we were driving endlessly from Galle to the hill country( As in I was just sitting in the back seat and enjoying the ride while the poor driver slogged those mountain tracks). The only decent place we could find on those isolated stretches was quite bad to say the least... It was the usual rice and curry but I could not date the food and the place looked unhealthy...they had a whole of load of meat dishes and some really strange vegetables. So in Sri Lanka, they use the term curry very loosely.Even fried carrot with grated coconut garnish is a curry . I am so picky sometimes that I tend to get into these silent moods where I stop talking to everyone whenever the general ambiance is dirty. Probably looking at my face and my untouched plate, the cook at that restaurant came up with a surprise. He brought a chilled earthen pot filled with full cream yogurt. The yogurt looked like it was set in those pots.Then he brings a bottle of thick home made honey and pours it generously on the yogurt Once you taste both of them together you will realize that they were meant for each other. This rates as one of the best desserts I ever had. Something about that fermented yogurt in a earthen pot was so right. I tried making it at home, its not the same...supermarket honey is meant for waffles not yogurt. I kept having this dessert for every meal all 5 days.
Another surprising discovery is wood apple juice ....Super Yumm. Try it . Thats a first. The only time I had wood apple before was for Vinayak Chaturdi in India. (I forget what its called in my mother tongue) . Never knew you can make juices and shakes out of it. Even in Sri Lanka you get these shakes only in the mountains.
Sri Lanka is very very scenic. Their beaches are quite popular but what I loved the most was their hill country . Those endless stretches of mist covered tea estates were definitely worth a trip. In the hill country due to narrow circular routes , despite your best intention you tend to move at snails pace. But with all that greenery dotted with teaks , waterfalls and clouds time just flies and I did not mind the journey at all. I could only scale the lower part of the country in 5 days. Apparently kingdoms started in the north and started stretching south over a few centuries. So It feels like going back in time as you head north. I hear the northern part of Sri Lanka is much prettier and immersed in history. It also comes with dark war ridden tales. However its quite a safe place now and is open to the general public too...Hopefully I can see it for myself the next time.
| Small private home on the beaches near Galle |
| There is a waterfall at every turn...such mood enhancers |
| lotus fields |
| We were late by an hour...else one can see the horizon from here |
| Worlds end Hike |
| Water bodies galore |
| Lost track of the number ancient Buddha statues everywhere |
| Fresh Tea! |
| Tea picking in the mornings |
| distant north beckons...soon. |
1 comment:
A post after a long time. And a great one. Nice reading about your trip and experiences - makes me want to travel.
Post a Comment