This appears to be a favourite topic on the blogosphere. Have read a few related blog posts in the last few years but a recent one got me thinking. I get it -that it appears shallow to give so much importance to how someone looked as they walked in or how opinionated they came across the first time you met them or how aloof they looked. Its not logical but most of us are guilty on this count . True that person might be having a particularly bad day or might be in great place in life on that particular day too. Seems a little insensitive to write off someone or dismiss someone based on just that encounter . I am pretty sure I for one would be friendless and alone if I followed that doctrine as I usually take my own sweet time to warm up to people.
That said , when I think about first impressions I am usually thinking about the time when I am getting to know a person and not just an encounter. The journey from a stranger to an acquaintance to a friend (and Probably a stranger again in select cases). On that particular curve I have repeatedly felt that my first impressions of a person are the best impressions of them ever. In the beginning most of those impressions are coming from pure observation and reasoning without any bias , history or judgement. Over time as we get closer to someone, we are disarmed by proximity or whatever and tend to discount most of their actions/choices and our judgement gets clouded by all the emotional factors . Things tend to change so much over time - some for the better and a few might even take a steep plunge. Manytimes I surprise myself as to how I completely forgot what I initially thought of them. In the end either I like someones company or am indifferent to them. The ones I am indifferent to end up just as acquaintances for a good reason... Well we click instantly with people sometimes and sometimes it just doesn't happen no matter how much time and thought goes into it. No point wasting time on it.One needs to prioritise in life :)
But whenever I think back in isolation I end up realising that my first impression is the most accurate representation of them. Things that I really liked about a person or stuff that bothered me back then... never really change with time. Perceptions change but the impressions remain ?
..Maybe coz first impressions capture fundamental traits?
No comments:
Post a Comment