Tuesday, June 15, 2010

spontaneous

Met this old friend of mine over lunch after prolly 4 or 5 years. Wonder when we lost track of each other ...Was an amazing lunch. Its times like this... when you look at another persons life from a standstill point , that you realize the significance of the time that flew by. The last I remember  was waving at the spontaneous and hyper kiddo  at the airport and now she is with a kid :) As we breezed through the years over coffee I could not help but wonder how much life can change in a moment if you are spontaneous. Was intrigued to find traces of that familiar streak in her despite the new layers of maturity and balance that sprung upon...

Made me wonder....did age and time really make an impact on me...when was I spontaneous last?...forget the  bigger picture like career and relationships...even the finer things in life... flash back to getting wet in the rains with no care for schedules or appointments .... to now... when there is a perpetual umbrella at every possible corner of my existance :), Going to restaurants and ordering the safest dish on the menu, planning weekends and social events months in advance, reading instructions on manuals, checking 3 reviews before watching a movie, opening the wardrobe to find everything neatly ironed. Always keeping eye on  danger (thru kids jumping at you in swimming pools with no warning) !!!
seriously who am I ?

Went swimming with these heavy thoughts...spontaneous being the word of the day, ran and tried to jump into the shallow pool like kids .....buoyancy betrayed me . Ouch !!! my head hurts . Should have listened to elders ?
But they dont tell you how light it feels :)

5 comments:

Journeyer said...

hey Kiddo, spontaneous is good but watch out for your head! :P

Nice one.. put a smile on my face (I swear it wasn't you bumping your head that did it! :P)

K said...

ha ha...I dont learn my lessons easily...Im not good at jumping period ..tried it once before with similar results.

Anonymous said...

I agree with our constant obsession to have a safety net. I can also see how you might want to regain some of the abandon you once had for a proven system. As we age, it seems (I hope I'm wrong) our actions have overbearing consequences on the lives of so many people around us. Doesn't that leave very little space for our beloved recklessness? Born out of this precise planning and constant readiness for the dooms day is a certain much familiar predictability in life which I and my loved ones have come to enjoy. The lack of which seems to give people lethal ulcers. I hope you can see why I have qualms about making 'living a planned life' sound entirely manque de la vie. That said, I wish you take, that 'carefully orchestrated', absolutely irresponsible, foolhardy plunge every chance you get.

-Dev... Adv.....

K said...

wonderfully put DA ... Im still trying to guess who you are :)

On The Move said...

Hmm... but K, I think you make fairly spontaneous decisions and plans from time to time.